MDP Field Practicum Funding
Funding is available to support MDP students to travel to field sites and to offset major expenses including airfare, lodging, and food. Students will be awarded variable amounts, but funding will generally cover all major costs associated with the field practicum.
To apply for a field practicum funding, students should submit the following materials to the MDP Office by the deadlines provided.
Submit initial proposal to Supervisory Committee for review
Funding Application to include:
1. An abstract of no more than 250 words explaining the project in non-technical language
2. The Initial Proposal of no more than 4 single-spaced pages. A bibliography should be appended to the proposal. The proposal should include:
- Brief context and background
- Proposed placement and description of host institution(s)
- In-country supervisor
- How the practicum criteria listed above will be met
- The proposed development problem/s to be addressed
- Objectives and methods
- Proposed activities and anticipated products
- A timetable for the proposed practicum.
Note: The proposal should be as specific as possible even though conditions often change in the field.
3. Proposed Budget (Budget Form Provided): Please note that airfare will be purchased according to UF travel guidelines, with preference to lowest itinerary costs appropriate to round-trip travel to practicum destination and back to Gainesville, FL. If airfare is secured for an amount less than that budgeted, the resultant savings will be subtracted from the budget.
4. Copy of submitted Institutional Review Board (IRB) application
As indicated, students should submit the initial proposal to their supervisory committee in advance of February 20th deadline in order to incorporate important feedback. Please note that the IRB application requires review and the approval signature of the student’s committee chair. The MDP Funding Applications committee will evaluate and make funding decisions based on the quality of the initial proposal. The committee may ask the student to clarify or improve some sections of the proposal. Students who have been asked to revise their initial proposal are strongly encouraged to do so within one week.
Submit important travel, health insurance and identification information
After the committee has approved funding, the fiscal department within the Center for Latin American Studies or the Center for African Studies will purchase airfare for students in March. In order to purchase tickets, students must submit the following to the MDP Program Coordinator in one email:
- Proposed itinerary: Please search for and provide an actual itinerary that includes all flight information. There is no guarantee this will be the exact itinerary purchased, but every effort will be made to purchase flights on the communicated departure and arrival dates. All students will have an opportunity to confirm their approval of the reserved itinerary prior to purchase.
- UFIC Travel Registration: All students must register with UFIC, enrolling inTeamAssist Emergency Assistance Program http://www.ufic.ufl.edu/TravelRegistration.html
- CISI International Insurance or Gator Grad Care: Students who have Gator Grad Care will be covered internationally, and must provide a copy of their card. Students without this coverage must purchase CISI insurance through UFIC. This expense can be included in the practicum funding budget.
- UFIC Checklist for International Travel (found at the website link above or in MDP Office)
- IRB submission status
- Passport/Travel Information
14th – 24th March
Copy of IRB approval letter, Letter of endorsement, signing of MDP Award Letter, and signing of other fiscal forms.
Upon submission, IRB approval typically takes up to to 10 business days. In some cases, applications receive approval pending minor changes or questions, to which the student can respond to the IRB by email. If IRB submission occurs by February 20th, students should be able to receive IRB approval by March 14th. Every effort should be made to quickly address any questions or pending changes to the IRB office. A copy of the IRB approval letter is required in order to facilitate the release of any approved budget funds for the field practicum.
Paperwork to process student funding will not be submitted to the fiscal department unless students have IRB approval or an indication from the IRB office that they do not need IRB approval.
A letter of endorsement indicating agreed terms of reference with host institution(s) is required. A template will be provided, however the content of this letter will vary depending on the agreed deliverables with the practicum host organization. In many cases, it may be quite helpful to draft a terms of reference letter yourself for the host organization, which they will be able to review, edit and approve.
An award letter will be prepared for students to sign, indicating the amount of award as well as terms and conditions for funding. Funding will not be disbursed until the student is within 10 days of their departure date. However, as indicated above, tickets will be purchased in March.
Upon return to the United States (not Gainesville), funding must be reconciled within 10 days. This requires the review and signing of an expense report provided by the fiscal department.
Additional Requirements before funding is processed.
- Final approval by the student’s committee chair indicating that the proposal meets MDP Field Practicum guidelines. An approval form will be provided.
- Attendance at pre-departure meeting.
Proposal, travel and funding all finalized. Students depart on field practicums.